The Importance of Church Insurance in South Florida
If you operate a church or religious organization you hold a special place in the community. Most churches are well respected and an important part of many neighborhoods in South Florida. Churches are also a business and even nonprofit organizations have many business needs and functions these days. That is why it is extremely important to protect your religious organization with the right kind of church insurance. Let's take a look at an example.
John P was a deeply religious man who enjoyed helping others and what better way to serve the community than with a local church? John was a licensed minister and he and his wife Betty, enlisted the aid of others to collect donations and refurbish an old church in the neighborhood. Within a year's time, the old church had a fresh new look and was full of people every Sunday and Wednesday evening.
Betty and John didn't think much about religious insurance, as they concentrated on offering important services to their community. However, as the little church slowly grew it became more like a business. After all, someone had to keep track of funding and take care of operating expenses like utilities and upkeep. In time, running a small church became a full-time job that required the assistance of many church members.
One Sunday, John preached a sermon about people suing churches and this brought about a great deal of discussion, which included church liability insurance. John and Betty naturally assumed their standard liability insurance could cover most problems. However, one of the members was an experienced insurance professional and he talked to John about the importance of protecting the assets of the church from claims of misconduct and other issues. John and the insurance man went over many risk factors church's face these days, and he changed his building insurance and purchased additional protection. This turned out to be a very smart move.
John's church provided free daycare service while his people attended church services and one day a member claimed the volunteer watching the children was abusive. In fact, the person went to local law enforcement with claims of sexual abuse and this created a great deal of problems. A lengthy lawsuit developed and the church eventually prevailed but not without a great deal of legal costs. Thankfully, John had bought abuse insurance and this took care of most of the legal fees.
What is Church Insurance?
Church coverage is designed to protect religious organizations from a wide variety of hazards. This includes standard insurance for the property and many other things that can go wrong.
Who Needs Religious Insurance?
Religious organizations are legally responsible for their actions, and insurance is there to protect you. This includes all kinds of organizations run on a religious platform.
Standard Insurance for Churches
Here are some of the things you will want to consider if you are thinking of operating a church:
- Commercial property coverage - if you buy church building it cannot be insured with homeowner insurance. You need commercial insurance just like any other business.
- Church liability insurance - pays for injuries and accidents on your premises
- Umbrella insurance - umbrella insurance is a good idea for so many reasons. It is affordable and provides you with protection from wide range of risks and problems churches face today.
Church Insurance Options
Your insurance professional can show you many different options for your church. For example:
- Commercial vehicle insurance - do you have a church bus? It needs to be fully insured, and this includes liability coverage of at least one million dollars, to be safe.
- Abuse insurance - can protect you from charges of abuse both physical and sexual.
- EPL - employment practice insurance protects you from people claiming you violated laws concerning hiring.
- Worker compensation - many churches must hire employees and they need this kind of protection.
- All peril coverage - this will protect your property from most hazards.
- Crime insurance
- Hurricane coverage
- Flood insurance
- Sewer backup protection
- Loss of income - suppose your church was seriously damaged by fire or a major storm. Loss of income insurance will allow you to maintain your church activities until repairs can be made.
- Errors and omissions - protects you from mistakes you or your officials make which can lead to lawsuits and damage claims.
- Product liability insurance - what if your church runs a bake sale and customers claim the baked goods made them ill. This will protect you.
Why You Need the Best Insurance You Can Afford
Today's churches face a myriad of risks and they need to be covered if you want to remain in operation. Churches are businesses and they require special insurance which is customized to their specific needs. That is why many South Florida churches are turning to independent insurance agencies like Galt Insurance Group for religious insurance.
We are here to help you cover not some but all your risk factors. Our people are experienced with risk management issues that concern the modern day church and will help you get the best possible coverage at the most affordable rates.
Your independent agent does not sell you insurance and then walk away. He or she is your insurance advocate and there for you when needed. Why not check out all the good things Galt Insurance can do for your church today? It's so easy to get a free quote on your insurance. Just fill out the quote form and we'll get back to you. For more information on issues like church liability insurance you may call us toll free at 1-844-BUY-GALT.