Gloves, eye protection, ear buds....you are ready!
The dreaded time of year when you mount up and literally clean your house top to bottom is upon you. Take pride in getting this very important job done each and every year, perhaps even for reasons you may not be considering.
Of course, there is no better feeling than when you finish cleaning your house. The floors are clean, the counters are wiped down and everything is put in its proper place. Let's also not forget that sweet smell of a freshly cleaned house. Now fast forward three hours to when the kids get home and destroy everything....ok, ok, let's not think about that part. What you may not be considering are the safety benefits of an annual spring clean. Here are some areas to consider:
- Dryer Vent Cleaning - Pull your dryer away from the wall and disconnect the vent hose and clean it thoroughly. It is also recommended that you clean the vent line that runs up through your roof or to an outside wall. The National Fire Protection Association cites that 17,000 fires are reported each year as a result of a clothes dryer. 34% of these are caused simply because they have not been cleaned. It is also noted that there are 51 deaths each year attributed to this cause. Protect your home and family and get it cleaned!
- Range Hood - Grease fires are no joke! Be sure to schedule your annual cleaning and maintenance of your range hood to cut down on the risk of fire due to a dirty range hood.
- Grill - This is often overlooked and needs reminding. Take your grill apart and clean it annually not only to prevent fires but to also make a better grilling experience for yourself and family.
- Roof Check - It is so important and very likely that you do not conduct an annual roof inspection already. Many insurance carriers will deny a claim due to a faulty a roof. Now more than ever it is so important that you properly maintain the most important system of your home...your roof!
- AC - Many of us have service contracts in place with our AC companies already, so we applaud you! Not only are your systems cleaned but they are checked for potential issues, like leaking that could cause water damage. It is especially important for those of you that are only seasonal residents to make certain that your AC unit runs properly when you are away from the home for an extended period of time.
- Plumbing - Another area that is often overlooked is plumbing. Check all supply lines, fittings and re-caulk sinks, tubs, showers, etc. Check shower floors and walls that are tile for missing or damaged grout lines, which will allow water to seep through and into your walls and floor.
- Windows and Doors - Clean your windows and doors! Not only will this spruce up your home, but it will give you an opportunity to closely look at each one for any damage that may require some repair.
These are just a few ideas to consider annually to keep you home not only looking and feeling great, but to also keep you and your family safe! Safe from potential physical dangers and also safe from financial trouble in the event of a loss that is not covered.
REMEMBER...Do NOT attempt any of the above tips if you are unfamiliar, uncomfortable or just plain unable to accomplish them. Call a professional! If you do not have a contact, call us and we will gladly help you locate one.